DOG WALKING VOLUNTEER
When do we need help?
Monday – Tuesday – Wednesday – Friday – Saturday
From 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday – Thursday
From 7:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Take all adoptable and designated unavailable dogs for walks around our shelter and on the shelter walking path.
- Take stray or dogs on a trace hold for walks in fenced yards behind shelter.
- Use safe animal handling protocols to remove dogs from kennel, leash dogs, and walk through shelter to outside area.
- Scoop feces and dispose of properly.
- Write notes about the animals’ behavior to inform staff and potential adopters. Photograph or video – when safe – and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alert medical team if any issues of concern are noted. Take photos or video – when safe – and send to email@example.com. Fecal samples can be given to kennel staff.
- Other related assistance, as directed by BCHS staff.
- Note: This is a physically active volunteer position.
SPECIAL CAPABILITIES NEEDED
- Must be able to provide friendly, knowledgeable customer service and to answer questions in a professional manner, deferring to staff if the correct answer isn’t clear or if guidance is needed.
- Must be able to understand, learn and utilize positive reinforcement training/behavior protocols.
- Must be confident in keeping dogs safe by following and enforcing all rules and regulations.
All volunteers who walk dogs must first meet with a member of the Dog Walking Team to receive canine handling and canine companion training. Additional training and workshops related to this activity will also be offered. Volunteers must stay within their walking levels (blue and green) until they meet with the shelter manager to move up to a more difficult level (red).
Volunteers should commit to walking dogs for a minimum of 1 hour if possible when volunteering within the shelter. Volunteers under 16 years of age can participate in this program with their parent-partner.
Please complete and submit the online volunteer application and mark Dog Walking with a number 1 as your area of interest. Once your application is received, you will be contacted by our Volunteer Coordinator to go over availability and training.