VET SURGERY TECHNICIAN SUPPORT VOLUNTEER
This is the perfect position for anyone interested in veterinary medicine. Working alongside the veterinary team, volunteers will complete tasks that are essential to the surgical department in a fast-paced shelter setting. (Full training provided by shelter staff)
Volunteers will work a minimum of 4 shifts per month. Shifts will typically be 2-3 hours. Shifts are Mondays, specific time-frame dependent on task.
- Signing in surgery animals (9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.)
- Running register during surgery sign-in (9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.)
- Cleaning ISO Cat cages (8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.)
- Cleaning and sterilizing surgical instruments (2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
- Cleaning and sanitizing cages in surgery (2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
- Data entry into computer (1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
- Discharging surgery animals (3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
Skills and qualities needed
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Professional, motivated, passion for animals, strong communication skills
- Because surgery help is only needed on Monday’s, any volunteer interested would need to commit to working at least 2 Monday’s per month.
- This role will require 4+ hours of commitment per month
- We request at least a 2 month commitment to be considered for this role
Summary of Environmental Working Conditions
- Frequent exposure to loud noise, odors, fumes, chemicals, and animal waste.
- Walks on tiled surfaces and flooring that may be wet or dry.
- Exposure to controlled substances, needles, syringes, and other supplies used in the pre- and post-operative treatment and the vaccination of animals.
- Exposure to animals that are agitated that may attempt to bite or scratch.
Please complete and submit the online volunteer application. Then please email our Volunteer Coordinator to let her know you are specifically interested in the Veterinary Surgery Technician Support Volunteer position firstname.lastname@example.org.