Cruelty Investigations

Animal cruelty, dog fighting and animal neglect are issues that are all too common in our area. The reality of these activities touches the lives of all citizens, pet-owning and non-pet-owning alike.  To protect animals from cruelty, abuse or neglect situations, we employ and equip a fully trained and certified Humane Society Police Officer appointed by the Beaver County Court.  This officer investigates, correct or prosecute approximately 1,000 reported cases yearly.

Our Humane Police Officer serves as a valuable resource for citizens to call to report animal abuse. We provide investigative and law enforcement support to all of Beaver County, ensuring that all animals are given the protection they are due under the law.

If you suspect that someone is abusing, neglecting or has abandoned their pets, please contact our Humane Officers at 724-775-5801.  All reports of animal abuse or neglect are confidential.

The laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania clearly determine over what areas our humane officers have jurisdiction. If a case does not fall under the cruelty laws, we do not have the power to take action.

If you are not sure if your concern is one of cruelty, please call us at 724-775-5801. If it is within our jurisdiction, the complaint will be accepted and an investigation will be initiated.

To report animal cruelty, call 724-775-5801 x110.

What our Humane Officer Does

  • Serve as police-deputized law enforcement officer
  • Investigate cases of animal cruelty and neglect
  • Rescue animals who are abandoned or mistreated
  • Appear in court to prosecute animal abusers
  • Work to make sure that pets and people are safe in our community
  • We investigate nearly 1,000 suspected cases of animal cruelty or neglect.

What Humane Officers Do Not Do

  • In Pennsylvania, Humane Officers are not allowed to enforce dog laws concerning licensing, rabies vaccinations, dangerous dogs, dog bites, barking complaints and running-at-large issues.  If you need help in these areas, please contact your local Animal Control professionals.
  • We are not allowed to enforce any laws that involve theft.  Custody conflicts regarding animals are usually civil in nature and should be addressed by an attorney.
  • Humane Officers are not allowed to give legal advice, nor can they enforce any local ordinances.