CAT KENNEL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEER (TEAM CAT)
Working alongside a BCHS Cat staff member, this volunteer would be responsible for assisting during the daily morning cleaning process.
- Remove dirty blankets, beds, and toys from run.
- Determine if blankets, beds, and toys are clean enough to remain in run.
- Send dirty water bowls to be washed.
- Provide clean, fresh water.
- Provide appropriate amount of wet and dry food, feed according to special diet protocols.
- Collecting dirty food bowls to be washed
- Scoop litter boxes or provide new ones if appropriate.
- Wipe down walls and floors of cage if needed.
- Alert medical team to any issues of concern.
- Assist staff with laundry and dishes when able
SPECIAL CAPABILITIES NEEDED
- This is a physical volunteer position that would require bending, standing, walking, lifting/carrying light loads, etc.
- Must be able to learn and retain various protocols and follow direction.
- Must be able to work well with others and communicate effectively.
- Must be able to understand, learn and utilize positive reinforcement training protocols.
*Please note: This volunteer position primarily operates in the kennels as they are being cleaned. We use water hoses to spray kennels and our floors are often wet. Volunteers working this position would need to wear appropriate non-slip shoes.*
All volunteers interested in this position would first train with a member of shelter management. All interested volunteers would also be provided with a Cat Cleaning SOP.
Volunteers in this position would need to work according to a shift-based schedule. It would be posted monthly in order for volunteers to assign themselves to days they are able to work. Primarily the hours are 7:30-11:00 a.m. seven days a week, however depending on our capacity level it is possible to be finished with our morning cleaning before 11:00 a.m.
Please fill out the online Volunteer application. Then email our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know you are interested in this specific position!